Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Prince Charming or a frog,,, the influence of time

OK, wait this not about marrying a hotty, just to see him turn into an old man with age. I can’t be that cruel. Besides age happens to all of us and I am merely one of the mortals, who if you read previous posts is starting to have to deal with aging, hair graying and all. Anyhow, lets get to what it’s about.

The idea about this post came to me a couple of months ago, while I was doing my placement (see previous post). During that work I met some very nice ladies who worked at the college library, they were all thirty something women. One day we were having lunch together at the college cafeteria, around the table there was me, two married and pregnant ladies, one divorced and soon to be married again lady, so in total -including me- 3 married. While we were eating another lady stopped to exchange a comment with one of the library ladies. The short discussion was about men and marriage. There was a subtle complaint from the passing lady, and finally she dropped a harsh comment about men and left.

Now the ladies started the marriage and men talk. The were not complaining, they were not attacking men, there comments were kind of strange to me and something I have not expected. Now they all seem to be happily married, or about to be happily married. The discussion went on about the pros and cons of marriage, the good and evil in men and what makes a good marriage. Now here where I was surprised. One said that a woman in a marriage should make it work and never leave her husband unless he suffered from some serious problem, giving examples of the man being an addict to something, drug or alcohol. The more surprising comment came when another set a criteria to evaluate a man and a marriage saying that if you look at your man critically and find that his positive points equal his negative points then the result is he is good; and she applied the same criteria for marriage. So (good=bad)=good, weird formula to me!!! But it got me wondering what did these ladies think when they were teenagers, or 10 years ago. Because they all seemed to agree on the same concept.

I don’t know about you but that formula sounded a bit depressing to me. What happened to the gallant and chivalrous image of a man? What happened to the dream of a “they lived happily ever after”? Is this sensible thinking that comes with the wisdom of age? Or is it the resignation of women who saw and knew better and are just trying to make it work. But then again, I can’t help thinking why try to make it work if it is not working for you?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi there, just came across your blog and everything you write seems so familiar! lol I have two girls too, and love to experiment with colouring my hair. I'm 32 and live in Muscat. Just bought two boxes of colour, from Glasgow, something different and can't wait to try it!!!