Sunday, January 01, 2006

Procrastination!!! To do or not to do??

Long live procrastination!!!

I don’t know if this is a family disease or a result of being raised by a to do it now mother. But my sister and I seem to be from those people who’s brain only function when it absolutely has to. She is an undergraduate student and I am a postgraduate student, with a fourteen years age difference and still our approach to studying, and all must do things are nearly the same. We only get to them when there is no other choice except failing or losing and such.

So I am doing this distance learning course, which I committed my self to before quitting my job. Because I know me, I could become too adapt at staying home and doing nothing and then wake up one day and regret it. So I registered and started on the course before leaving my job. I do enjoy it and think it was good thinking on my part to do that. But when it comes to the assignments I am just such a bad person.

I am on my third semester now, and for all last three, at the beginning I sit down with my computer and plan carefully the topic around the semester, marking everything on my calendar, This semester was no exception. After being stuck writing a 2000 word report in four days last semester, I decided that this one will be different, the stress with two babies to care for was too much. So there I sat again with my laptop scheduling last September. Only to find myself a month after doing the same thing all over again. You see, the Uni had problems with their VC at the start of the semester, by the time they fixed my husband’s family started arriving (they live in another city) for Ramadan and Eid. And here you go 4 weeks went by being busy with all those family events.

With people like me, procrastinators that is, everything can set us off track, and we do tend to take extra long to get back on it. I have noticed this pattern with me, with my sister and with a friend.

Now I don’t know if someone out there has actually studied patterns of behavior associated with people like us, if so please help!!! if not please do!!! Any therapist or a psychiatrist please help!!!

As for me, well I am trying to work on it. I can see some improvement but not much. The thought of me slaving for endless hours one day to catch on what I have to do is a thought I keep running in my mind to try and motivate me. So from now on: Down with procrastination!!!

No comments: