Friday, July 14, 2006

Trends and what have you?

It seems to me that we live in an era where trends have become essential to people. If you look at people around you fashion and beauty trends are so obvious, if you hear them talking you will be listening to whatever hot issue is going around now.

I returned from vacation to a European country a couple of weeks ago. There I noticed how young girls there are so hooked up on the beauty and fashion trends, they all looked like they are trying to imitate a photograph they have seen in a magazine. I always thought that the european approach to beauty is much simpler that that of country were I live, here people have always been going around with heavy make up and they looked over dressed. Apparently this has become the Trend world wide. The young girls I noticed were school girls who hit the malls right after school and hang around with there friends while their parents got home from work. Anyhow, they were still in their school uniforms, but the hair is all done in the latest fashion, the make up is quite strong with kohl and mascara. Those girls could not have been more than 15 or 16 but they were trying to look 24. Now I understand the teenagers need to attract but it looked like it was too extreme, and mores, it looked like each one was trying to be someone else.

I came back home and viola’, I thought those girls were over made!!! I had another thing coming. Of course girls here go to malls at night which gives them more chance to indulge in make up. The thing though is they were all tanned, and it did not look like a natural one either. I mean we are blessed in this part of the world with a natural tint, so you would think people would be wise enough not to follow the tan trend so religiously, don’t they realise it was intended for those who lack natural color. But helas, every and each girl I saw looked like she was baked in the sun for hours,add to it all this tan looked so fake. I have not seen a girl around here going around with here natural skin color. What happened to individualism and personal character; all soaked up by the influence of media I suppose. It just gets you thinking deeply of how strong a hold does media have over us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.